Cyberpunk 3115
Please log in or register.
Cyberpunk 3115
Please log in or register.
Cyberpunk 3115
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our game.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cyberpunk 3115 :: RULES ::

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Havocprime
Admin
Havocprime

PP : : 28

Cyberpunk 3115 :: RULES :: Empty
PostSubject: Cyberpunk 3115 :: RULES ::   Cyberpunk 3115 :: RULES :: EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 pm

TL;DR?

1. Keep the Story development board specifically for gameplay.
  2. If you're posting in the story development board out of character, Use OOC brackets. (( Looks like this )).
  3. Don't create bullshit characters, Lets keep this thing as fluid and well written as possible.
  4. Your characters can talk as much as they would like between action posts, but keep this in white text.
  5. Use RED text to signify your physical response/explaination.
    (this also ends your turn, allowing the next person to make an action)

Basics

Basics
First and foremost I'd like to keep the 'Story development' thread specifically for gameplay. There is an OOC board for good reason. Posting out of character information/ideas/thoughts etc should all go there. That doesn't mean you cannot include OOC in posts that are made in the Story-Dev. section, I just don't recommend it because I don't want that board to get derailed by silly bullshit posts and making jokes.

I would like the story-dev. board to be used for exactly what it's name implies, Developing the emergent story and keeping the ball rolling. It will also act as a chronological/systematic area for us to view actions/etc as we move forward past situations. Not to mention it's also going to be a historical database of all the actions your player has made, so we can go back and look at how things were handled in situation X or Y.

OOC/IC.
For all intents and purposes of gameplay, I'd prefer if every post made in 'Story Dev' is presumed to be in character. Things that are said 'Out of Character' or in OOC should be encompassed in brackets or parentheses.

Example : "Leeroy charges head first into the room with blatant disregard for everyone else's health." (( lol guys, y'all just wiped because of me.))

Characters

I just want to lay some ground rules as to what a good-vs-bad character is.
Obviously we know we're all in the future, the year is 3115, but that shouldn't change the fact that people have common/normal names. I don't mind odd or uncommon names, but please for the sake of fuck put any form of effort in to it. I'd rather not see you posting as famous actors/musicians or people like "Mike Hawk"/"Mike Hunt"/"Mike Lit"/Etc.

Your characters can be as detailed, or non-descript as you'd like them to be. Obviously the more effort you put into engineering a believable story, the more inclined I'll be to treating your character on a higher RP standard.
The same goes for the way you speak and act. Your character may be mute or even retarded, but that doesn't mean it should impact the way you describe his/her actions in any way.
The more detailed your responses, the better. This doesn't mean you have to go over the edge with it, but I'd like to see some form of dedication in your posting.

Rotation

This should be a fairly simple and easy system to use. We're going to be using a rotation system on posts, this way nobody will be left out of the loop if they don't have internet, or cant get to the website for a few days. I'd hate to see the group all rolling out to do a mission together, when Kyle gets shit on by finals and everyone has to move on without him (When he was clearly part of the group in a given situation).

In short, a rotation will be determined for posting. IE :

1. *Narrator*
  2. Dylan
  3. Harrison
  4. Kyle
  5. Josie
  6. Alex

Step one : Narrator describes the situation.
Step two : Dylan has his response to the situation.
Step three : Harrison (so on and so forth).

-At any time, any player can "talk" by typing a response in white text.
-Red text will be used to determine actions, and not chat. Red text signifies a players "action/movement/attack" as where white text is more of a 'free action' and can be used at any time.
-This allows all of the characters to talk as much as they want during a situation, but the red text is what determines the changes of said situation.

I understand this might be a little confusing. Think about it this way. Red text is whats going to describe your ACTION, not TALK.

[Start Example]

Narrator : You all find yourself standing in a bar, it's more of a small compact room with a few stools connected to a counter top, whatever gets the job done.

Dylan : Chazz mutters under his breath "This place fucking stinks..."
(At this point in time, Chazz hasn't made an action, so we cannot move on to Harrison's character, and must wait for Chazz to act. All of the characters can talk, have RP effects such as sipping glasses, smoking cigarettes, and doing everything else in between that wouldn't cause a conflict or struggle. Talk can also be signified as the players action, if they dont feel that they have anything better to do.)

Harrison : Isaac yawns slightly as he looks around the bar for anything suspicious.
(Isaac can have as many free actions as he wants right now, but he cannot declare anything in red text until its his turn. Turns will be based on the rotation, and when Player#1 acts in red text, then we move on to Player#2)

Dylan : Chazz reaches in his leather jacket and produces a wallet, walking up to the bar and asking the owner for a drink.
(^Red text declares that he has finished his "Turn" and made an "Action", and now Harrison can make an action whenever he would like.)

[End example]

I understand this may all sound confusing, but trust me once we get the ball rolling you'll understand very quickly how this all works. Using white and red text allows us to differentiate between Soft and Hard actions.
A hard action could easily start a fight or cause guns to be drawn. As where a soft action (white text) is much less meaningful and can be simple banter between player-characters, or simply be asking for more information on the layout or room around them.

Just keep in mind that when you use RED TEXT, you are stating that "This action is the end of my turn." (And if you don't want to make an action, or simply don't know what to do. You can type up your response in red text to move on to the next person.)

For those of you that don't know how to produce red text. It's very simple.

Code:
[color=red]<insert text here>[/color]
^ the above line would look like "<insert text here>"
Or you can highlight the text you want to be red, and at the top there is a "Change color" icon that looks like a color palette on the far right.

Actions and Combat

Actions

Ultimately this should be relatively simple. Because the game was originally based off of an extremely simplified D20 system, I've decided to keep it that way; Simple. On pen and paper, we essentially had two forms of actions. Free actions; and At-Cost-Actions.

We determined:

Free Actions : Could be used during any situation; at any time; with no cost to the user. IE: Talking/motioning/simple actions that can be done on a second to second basis.

AC-Actions : Required a die-roll to determine the positives/negatives of the situation. ACA's would be actions such as Climbing fences, jumping over trenches, performing any specific movement based action, or any specific action that would require some sort of physical skill to succeed at.

Due to the fact that we don't have a proper system to be using in terms of rolling dice, "We" Wont be, But I will.
Originally I was under the assumption that our forums came with a built in die-roller, this would have been awesome. Ultimately it does have a die-roller but it had been coded very half-assed, and whenever the [roll]#[/roll] script would be assigned to a post and that post would be edited or reposted, the die roll would change.
This lead me to realizing we had four main options.

-Use the die-rolling system built into the forums and trust that all of our players would not alter their posts and consequently edit the rolls that came with the post. (Which would lead to a lot of double posting.)

- Use an online die rolling system, which fails at very much the same aspect as the above listed problem. Seeing that a player can 'post' the roll in a screenshot or any other form. <-This also allows for the player to choose which screenshot he wants to send me for each roll which doesn't work because again the player can change the situation to flow in his favor or a more positive/negative manner for anything else.

-Use an online die rolling system that doubles as a chat room to allow me to be present and record the rolls made. This doesn't work because it requires my presence which means die-rolls will halt the game until x-player and myself can find the time to be on the same site at the same time.

-Use my make shift system for randonimity that I explained to Kyle at the end of our last game, which would absolutely work in this situation but would be slightly more complex.

-Let the narrator handle all of the rolls.

This decision came after long self brainstorming and thought provoking conversation with another friend (Markus, My boss/Art Director @ Safecig) who plays a D&D-D20 campaign on a forum called Tenebryth and has been going strong with it for six+ years. For five of those years the DM of the game (Family friend named Stephen) has been narrating and controlling all of the rolls on the table, so it's a system that works. It simply requires trust and a decent understanding of how difficult the task you're asking to accomplish actually is.

In the end of things, I decided that it would be best if I handle all of the rolls on both the player and narrator sides of things. I understand this might be disheartening to those that want to throw dice or toss numbers around, but you already require so much inlaid trust in your Narrator that it only makes sense to have me do all the back end data work.
No, this does not mean that I will be determining the outcome of every given situation. The dice will. In short, when you tell me you want to perform some dramatic action that would require skill/purpose to pull off, I'll let you know how difficult I think the task would be for you to succeed at. Then based on your reply for whether or not you acknowledge the fact that it may or may not be too difficult for you and essentially Cyberpunk 3115 :: RULES :: Avatar_5331c2319685_128, I'll do the rolling and explain the outcome in detail to keep your smug ass smiling. I'll also add at this point, that the major hold up on the way the forums are starting right now, is that I couldn't decide on how to translate a table-top game into a text-based game. Now that that has been chosen, I'll be able to move forward quickly with the kickstart.

Combat

This section will remain relatively untouched for the time being. What I mean by that is you'll quickly understand how combat is going to work when we get to it. This isn't because I don't have a system for it. But it will be fun to figure it out as it happens, compared to having it written on here in front of you. Regardless. Lets get this shit started!

TL;DR?

1. Keep the Story development board specifically for gameplay.
  2. If you're posting in the story development board out of character, Use OOC brackets. (( Looks like this )).
  3. Don't create bullshit characters, Lets keep this thing as fluid and well written as possible.
  4. Your characters can talk as much as they would like between action posts, but keep this in white text text.
  5. Use RED text to signify your physical response/explaination.
Back to top Go down
https://cyberpunk3115.editboard.com

Cyberpunk 3115 :: RULES ::
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cyberpunk 3115 :: Cyberpunk 3115. :: Cyberpunk 3115 :: RULES ::-
Jump to: